(delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  zDarkShadowz on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 am

I don't expect people to read this, just venting it out so it doesn't keep being pent up and unleashing itself in snide comments because I don't have as much control over my emotions as I would like, and so I can take a more objective look at my own feelings towards what I rant.
So, likely this thread will start off with me being annoyed, and then turn into some philosophical ramble for a bit, and switch back to annoyance a few times.


I don't like the level restriction rules, requiring the gold RP token.
It's essentially a dm-permission slip to become stronger because you roleplay more *with dm's*.

More specifically, as with my Karaz when I played him a while ago for a long period of time (so, I don't know if the following still applies, so if it no longer does then forgive my ignorance) required a specific DM, DM Thor or something, that was in charge of handing out roleplay tokens for roleplay that he saw. Due to my location, any roleplay my Karaz participated in did nothing to help improve the token, as I hardly ever encountered this person in my character's journey.

The tokens are an oxymoron as it is.
"You must roleplay with no intent of wanting to become stronger, to become stronger. If it is your character's IC drive to become stronger, this may detriment you and have you looked upon as a power gamer."

The acquisition of the tokens are a little biased as well.
"You must roleplay with dm's to obtain this token. Any roleplay with players helps other players see that you put depth into your character, but if a DM is not watching you do this, it may as well be irrelevant. However, you are to assume a DM is always watching."
So, despite Crawford shoving my Karaz's face into the fireplace, during a very long and well-roleplayed event by the Cyricists, and my face regenerating somewhat (thankyou boots!) he lost the sight in his left eye for nothing aside from entertainment value.

So, the token depends entirely on what both the DM and the player conceive as roleplay, and if a DM manages to be online in time. There are, however, people who don't see roleplay as just one mode of action. There are people who understand that there are different types of roleplay, just as there are differen't types of gameplay. The main kinds are Action Roleplay, seperated into teamwork, exploration, how your character deals with events as they happen... and Social Roleplay, where you sit around and talk about things people have done in Action Roleplay.

More often than not, the Social Roleplay is more rewarded than any Action roleplay done outside of dealing with events close to where Social Roleplayers hang out. I see people who sit in the boarded home all day, gathering XP while they talk away about things other people have done, and they're much more likely to obtain a higher grade token than my Karaz ever was, so I gave up on him after a month or so of roleplaying and never passing blue. His roleplay obviously wasn't the "right" kind and so got no recognition.

So that's why I made my purple dragon knight - A backstory other players may know of somewhat if they know D&D lore, rather than my Karaz being from a completely original and diverse island I created. A backstory where other players may be more inclined to actually ask about my character if they already know a bit about the history regarding my origins. As for his roleplay, due to lack of Cyricist activity or any other evil PC's when I play him, and a sudden drop in players going to visit vaults he hasn't been able to do much yet due to recent low-player activity. His level of roleplay is yet to be seen beyond exchanging riddles and saying he may as well get some sleep. Oh, and kicking open a door to find a bunch of Cyricists promptly closing it saying "No cyricist activity here. I'm not here to do Cyricist things just yet so leave me alone while I talk to my friends and other Cyricists."

My purple dragon knight, of course, would need backup if he wanted to try deal with this threat, as purple dragons tend to use teamwork to take down foes more powerful than themselves, and it would be completely OOC if I went in there solo trying to bust everyone up inside what should be a peaceful house, and since my purple dragon knight never witnessed any Cyricist activies, besides witnesses he doesn't know in depth, so he can't do anything about it.

Also due to their impeccable roleplay with dm's, most cyricists have their gold tokens, and special extra bonuses I may be unaware of, so other players are unwilling to band together to even have a crack at them simply because of game mechanics alone. My Karaz even tried to charge their Crawford, who is nothing more than a skillful, superstrong swordsman, yet the surrounding people would not dare to strike at him, despite having spells, and abilities and such that would debilitate him and help slay him so much easier when he just strode out into the Boarded Home alone and started causing trouble.

My poor Kamaris, an agent of Bahamut and probably one of the few cleric's that actually hold the power to defeat the Cyricists in 1 on 1 due to tactics alone, ended up dying to a power-word kill from a demilich just before a server reset (I was warned about the reset, but didn't expect the PWKill to occur) while I was alone, so he's in Heaven with currently no IC way to bring him back. I really can't be bothered making yet another cleric, making more character's irks me unless I truly have to. Also doesnt help that the Gem of Valor is extremely rare, so if I was in heaven when another person wanted to be raised, I can't exactly be my lawful good self and jump into the portal instead.

No, my Kamaris is pretty much lost, and with some dm's unwilling to give him his *only* chance via a chess game (at least when I asked for around three-four days, and stopped asking because I figured I was starting to piss off dm's) he may as well be in a guilded cage. In hindsight, I should've probably put up a forum request for it. Asking for things dm's only give out of their own generosity, and are under no obligations to actually give, such as tokens or chess games, just makes it seem like I'm trying to power-game once more. Asking tends to gets me nowhere, but staying silent is the same too.

What else bothers me at the moment...? Hrm... think I've finally run out of things to say. In the end, the gold RP token, a dm-handout, can not be asked for, can not be earned if they are not around, and makes the difference between have & have nots for a fair number of people, disuading them from engaging in Roleplay that would have more likely than not their character slain, in favor of staying alive but forever at a constant threat from more than just zombies.

I would prefer if people could ask once every month to three months via a poll to determine with other players (and dm's are players too) if their RP is acceptable to advance to the next token. As it is, dm's can't be everywhere at once, and can quite easily miss exceptional roleplay with other players on many occasions.

Also a gem of valor, used to resurrect good players, is a lot harder to come by than resurrecting gems for neutral and evil, so evil flourishes and neutrals stand back and watch. Good has to struggle all that more, and it prevents many people from playing good characters for any long duration of time. Persuading a bunch of players to make good aligned characters to band together, could be construed as OOC since you are going OOC to try recruit characters that do not as yet exist. I suppose, like Fox told me once, that a long time ago, paladins walked everywhere and Cyricists had their own share of troubles. It still makes me wonder if perhaps the scales have been tipped irrevocably in the favour of evil and opportunists.

I guess in the end it IS a survival server more than roleplay, action or social. I just have to deal with it and learn how to survive despite trying to be the good guy fighting against the darkness, and generally alone and regardless of mechanics and how they affect roleplay considerably more than they should. Surviving against biased mechanics is supposed to be just another survival challenge, it seems. (considering those who play good but possess high-end evil characters they worked on would rather have more fun playing evil and opposing the few good players when their evil allies are online, or play neutral/good just so their evil character's wont get nuked instantly by the *extremely* few decent good players who actually do play.)

The very nature of the gold roleplay token ties in mechanics directly to roleplay, but acquiring the token means you have to show you favour roleplay over mechanics. Action and Social roleplay, they're both two sides of the same coin, but in the end, your character IS the coin, and the players the hand that must flip it, and hope a DM is watching them over anyone else. The gold token is biased, simply because DM's can not be everywhere at once, and it affects everyone on every level, and that's why I don't like it. Social roleplayers won't mind as much, but doing social roleplay only goes so far before players get bored and start seeking other servers.

So, that's my rant done, and I feel a lot better because of it. Now back to gaming responsibly.


Last edited by zDarkShadowz on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Just a few punctuation errors turning some statements ambiguously in the wrong direction from what I intended.)
avatar
zDarkShadowz

Posts : 27
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 26
Location : Not playing here, indefinitely.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Kakashi on Crack on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Would like to comment on a few things.

Last I checked, any DM can give a green RP token, the red one can be given by any DM with fox's permission, its the gold RP token can only be given out by the admin. I personally see the gold token as a cross between an RP reward/survival bonus, and would like to point out that if enough players actually did start a thread about trying to get someone's RP token "leveled" up, that the DMs would likely take it into great consideration, but, as of yet, no one has created such a thread.

I have yet to see the cyricists actually get special treatment (well, ok one case, btu that's cause the odds basically threatened to wipe out the order, which it almost did anyways), I've just seen few people stand up to them. Another thing to remember about the Cyricists is that they're Chaotic Evil (or, they're supposed to be NE/CE since their god is CE), so, more or less, the only thing that keeps them bound together is the fact that they would all get their faces pounded in if they didn't stick together, and that they all worship Cyric. From experience IG, people don't attack Cyricists unless directly threatened because when one cyricist is around, there's typically 1 to 3 more hiding nearby in case something happens, so its better to just avoid it. This is actually a great RP tool for them, because even if only one of them is around, people have to be either really brave, or really stupid to attack them since they typically have friends around.

My biggest problem, is that there are good guys who will use detect evil or something similar, basically somehow notice someone is evil, and start screaming about them needing to be lynched even though they never did anything wrong. Its similarly so for anyone who has an evil deity, which makes playing, for instance, a banite extremely hard since you're required by your deity to follow the laws/codes put in place by civilizations, and at the same time avoid those who would be enforcers of said laws/codes simply because they would kill you due to your allegiances without ever finding proof of you doing something wrong. (Similarly, I don't think a Cyricist should be accused of something/up for being attacked until they have been proven guilty of commiting some kind of crime)

Another thing to remember though, is that it isn't -just- good guys who hate them/fight against them. Good guys, neutrals, bad guys, even other cyricists, they all dislike cyricists. If you walk up to just about anyone other than a cyricist, they'll tell you they have some problem with cyricists whether it be because of their religion, moral codes, phylisophical views, etc.

Survival is a powerful thing. While I might throw away my neutral good character's life because they don't know better ICly, there's no way in hell, for instance, my mage would step into a fight without being aware of all circumstances simply because they see it as "if I don't fight today, I'll live to fight another day when I'm powerful enough to not be committing suicide." If they don't see the odds stacked in their favor, they won't help someone because they know better. (of course said mage tends to only occasionally stop by the boarded home, and spends most of his time studying in the west tower/hunting zombies anyways, but that's besides the point.)

Sorry to hear what happened to you cleric, I'm sure that can get all settled.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not trying to be an ass to you, DarkShadowz. Maybe take that one comment into consideration though, as just about everyone hates Cyricists Wink


EDIT: Ohh yeah, valour gems- I think all the gems are rare really unless you spend your days scavving in the siranda castle. For instance: I spent two hours straight running back and fourth between the siranda castle and the tower one night trying to collect keys so I could RP with people the next day, RPing my character collecting things from the castle being the hoarder he is, (it was late at night) and in about my 20+ raids of the castle I found 2 keys. That means you have to search the castle about 10 times usually if you don't bring a bunch of people along/don't get lucky to ifnd one key. Then you have to look at actually going to the vaults, in which your chances of finding what you are looking for by yourself are slim at best, and only slightly higher if you bring a ton of people along, so you're looking at at least a good few searches to find a specific item like the gems, meaning multiple castle raids, etc. you see where I'm going with this.

I don't think its necesarily people find neutral/evil gems easier, but that there are more neutral/evil groups looking for things then there are good groups looking for items. Heck, the only time I ever saw oen of the gems was with a character I had RPed for over a month, and even then it was stolen from them the next day by an assinine kobold. (this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when, when balor owned the server)


Last edited by Kakashi on Crack on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added part on gems)
avatar
Kakashi on Crack

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 23
Location : My laptop, silly!

View user profile http://z8.invisionfree.com/TLJ/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Fox on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Thor was never in charge of tokens.

If anything, she was the last person I wanted handing tokens out.

No, the Cyricists do not recieve a general state of preferential treatment, if anything, they've been held down from their inception by the staffing to keep the number of player-caused permakills down as best as possible.

If people want to nominate someone they feel deserves a better roleplay token, and a majority agrees, I may be compelled to give out an upgrade.

Action roleplay does not constitute grinding a character from 1-10 in a week. That's powergaming/farming/etc. This will count against you.

Tips for the future? Keep a clear, calm head, have a well-thought out character with depth, and I find I'm more inclined to reward good prose, grammar & description, as well as portrayal of alignment. Also, talking about one's ability/inability to kill Cyricists OOCly, will not get you anywhere.

If I have any more to add, I'll post back.
avatar
Fox

Posts : 148
Join date : 2011-04-18
Age : 24
Location : NW England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Amadahy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Might I add in, having a character bio would be a great feather in your cap towards the RP tokens, shows you took some time, as does a description in the description part of character creation (or PMing me your description to be leto'd in.)

As for the rest, it has been covered. Except the Chess issue.

Yes, you asked me to play chess, and I told you, on more than one occasion, I don't play chess. Entering into a chess game with you would only succeed in making me upset and frustrated. Perhaps you want the unfair advantage of knowing/playing the game, but I don't want to play something that I don't know.

That's all I'm going to say on this. The rest was said by Kakashi and Fox.

Amadahy

Posts : 80
Join date : 2011-04-27
Age : 34
Location : Hamilton Ontario...aka hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 am

Reading this thread, I believe everyone who has contributed has demonstrated their points which can be seen objectively to clearly illustrate fair arguments on both sides.

--Addressing some of Dark Shadowz points in his post--

Now I do agree that with any system there are issues inherent in its design, and the ones with the roleplaying tokens does seem to cause the community here to be split through perceived grievances or otherwise. Whether this is due to the DMs being strict in order to ensure excellence in roleplay or because DMs seem to be awarding those who they may hang around with is irrelevant. The fact that roleplay tokens are sparsely awarded could be an underlying factor that discourages people from roleplaying on the server, and may lead to a reduction in players.

Quote, courtesy of Kakashi on Crack:

I have yet to see the cyricists actually get special treatment (well, ok one case, btu that's cause the odds basically threatened to wipe out the order, which it almost did anyways)

Quite frankly, the cyricists do not seem to be the main issue in your "rant". Though from Kakashi's appraisal of a situation where he witnessed that the Cyricists did receive special treatment, would make many individuals on this server ask questions. As a survival roleplay server if a character dies then that is it unless someone else has a IC reason to revive them with a gem. I'd say that that should also extend to factions, if the faction dies a new character can recreate it. No character who is about to die or has died should be allowed to live on the basis that their survival preserves a faction.

Regarding the deal that if you win a chess match against a DM then you can be revived from hell/heaven/limbo, I don't believe that the module ever managed to create a chess playing area to let you do that. Unless the module now has the capacity to do it, which I would probably kill a character to see this...

--Addressing some points in Kakashi's post--

Quoted from Kakashi on Crack:

My biggest problem, is that there are good guys who will use detect evil or something similar, basically somehow notice someone is evil, and start screaming about them needing to be lynched even though they never did anything wrong.

I do agree with you in principle, in the circumstances where the Character is lawful and not too guided by the zealous nature of Good or Evil. Since the player is the ultimate arbitrator of how their character should act, they may choose to not roleplay a character who would act after contemplating "Do I have the evidence and does it justify it"... Even then a lawful character may still act, since they may be compelled to do so without proof. (pre-emptive strike!)

Quoted from Kakashi on Crack:

avoid those who would be enforcers of said laws/codes simply because they would kill you due to your allegiances without ever finding proof of you doing something wrong

Again I do agree in principle, but in general any character who is evil would want to avoid any authority for fear of being persecuted. Especially the zealous ones in enforcement...

To summarise it all into simple bullet points:

-The Roleplay Token System may be outdated or needs to be looked at

-The DMs may ask me for a few practice matches at chess

-Evidence of character before character's execution may be catchy but overall isn't done

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  DrThor on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:18 am

Fox wrote:Thor was never in charge of tokens.

If anything, she was the last person I wanted handing tokens out.

You're damn right. I wasn't in charge of tokens. I handed a total of THREE out, to my recollection. After that, I decided it was a bad idea to have to make that kind of decision, not to mention everyone and their mother would spam me with tells asking for them. I'm sure you understand how annoying that can get. But thanks for the attitude while I'm not around, anyway.

But to the original point, I really think that no matter what system you use, someone will always be discontent with it. There will always be flaws to point out, nothing is perfect. Making a large rant with the 'pity me' undertones really doesn't help your argument. If you're going to make an attempt to change something, be strong and factual about it. Know what you're saying and say it as plainly and efficiently as possible.
avatar
DrThor

Posts : 15
Join date : 2011-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  GHOSTEH on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:57 am

Fox's standards of role-playing are very niche and people shouldn't have to be measured up to them, but to the player-base's opinion of them as a whole not just the one guy who awards or docks tokens based on any number of reasons ranging from playing a class a different way to how he thinks it should be played, to his personal opinion of the person based on past experiences. This can obviously be taken into either context, with examples of Two Evils, who has been looked over for DMship and gold tokens because of some incident that occurred years ago on another server, and Couch-Ninja who's first character on the server was a special sub-race, purely because he had a reputation from another server. While these things are not necessarily wrong, Per Se, I would have to say that they are not right, either.
avatar
GHOSTEH

Posts : 43
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 25
Location : A neighborhood near you

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  zDarkShadowz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 pm

DrThor wrote:
Fox wrote:Thor was never in charge of tokens.

If anything, she was the last person I wanted handing tokens out.

You're damn right. I wasn't in charge of tokens. I handed a total of THREE out, to my recollection. After that, I decided it was a bad idea to have to make that kind of decision, not to mention everyone and their mother would spam me with tells asking for them. I'm sure you understand how annoying that can get. But thanks for the attitude while I'm not around, anyway.

But to the original point, I really think that no matter what system you use, someone will always be discontent with it. There will always be flaws to point out, nothing is perfect. Making a large rant with the 'pity me' undertones really doesn't help your argument. If you're going to make an attempt to change something, be strong and factual about it. Know what you're saying and say it as plainly and efficiently as possible.

When I asked around about tokens at the time, a fair time ago, I was told to talk to you. When I did talk to you, you said you hadn't seen my RP. Sorry if I was severely mistaken, but that's the information from my view that was fed to me, and how it played out.

Anyways I'll not be playing this server for a long while - more interesting and immersive RP servers elsewhere, and a few people want my scripting help for another. Sorry if i've caused any drama from what now looks like repeated mistakes on my part. I must have 3 wisdom in RL.

Delete this thread whenever, and perhaps my forum account also as it seems I have severely misused it. Don't delete my characters, you could probably just use them in RP events instead. Give them a better RP-life than I.
avatar
zDarkShadowz

Posts : 27
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 26
Location : Not playing here, indefinitely.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Couch_Ninja on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:48 pm


Couch_Ninja

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Penquisitor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:01 am

zDarkShadowz wrote:
The acquisition of the tokens are a little biased as well.
"You must roleplay with dm's to obtain this token. Any roleplay with players helps other players see that you put depth into your character, but if a DM is not watching you do this, it may as well be irrelevant. However, you are to assume a DM is always watching."
So, despite Crawford shoving my Karaz's face into the fireplace, during a very long and well-roleplayed event by the Cyricists, and my face regenerating somewhat (thankyou boots!) he lost the sight in his left eye for nothing aside from entertainment value.

>Implying that when you join a roleplay server, you don't do it to have fun roleplaying

zDarkShadowz wrote:
More often than not, the Social Roleplay is more rewarded than any Action roleplay done outside of dealing with events close to where Social Roleplayers hang out. I see people who sit in the boarded home all day, gathering XP while they talk away about things other people have done, and they're much more likely to obtain a higher grade token than my Karaz ever was, so I gave up on him after a month or so of roleplaying and never passing blue. His roleplay obviously wasn't the "right" kind and so got no recognition.

I barely ever saw Karaz, the few times I did see him, it was because I was farming in the same place he was. Although the character I was farming with is to this day level 7, Karaz reached level 10 oh so quickly. Which made it close to impossible for us to see your roleplay, and therefore give you anything above blue. There's where the people socializing benefit, since they are where most people are, and therefore, where we are aswell, we can improve their tokens. On the other hand, anyone that goes to the Annedhel Temple, goes there to farm.
The same applies to your cleric, you talk about him, my characters (and myself) only ever saw him twice, besides that one time you switched characters to your cleric because the cyricists were in the boarded home. (I don't think I was there as a cyricist at the time, but I do remember this)

zDarkShadowz wrote:
So that's why I made my purple dragon knight - A backstory other players may know of somewhat if they know D&D lore, rather than my Karaz being from a completely original and diverse island I created. A backstory where other players may be more inclined to actually ask about my character if they already know a bit about the history regarding my origins. As for his roleplay, due to lack of Cyricist activity or any other evil PC's when I play him, and a sudden drop in players going to visit vaults he hasn't been able to do much yet due to recent low-player activity. His level of roleplay is yet to be seen beyond exchanging riddles and saying he may as well get some sleep. Oh, and kicking open a door to find a bunch of Cyricists promptly closing it saying "No cyricist activity here. I'm not here to do Cyricist things just yet so leave me alone while I talk to my friends and other Cyricists."

My purple dragon knight, of course, would need backup if he wanted to try deal with this threat, as purple dragons tend to use teamwork to take down foes more powerful than themselves, and it would be completely OOC if I went in there solo trying to bust everyone up inside what should be a peaceful house, and since my purple dragon knight never witnessed any Cyricist activies, besides witnesses he doesn't know in depth, so he can't do anything about it.

This actually is a problem, but not because good characters are non-existant. It is a problem because the good characters are played by the same people that play the Cyricists. Or at the time, anyway. Ghost played Django, I played either Leonard, or Phillip and Fox played Selene. It's kinda hard playing a good aligned character however when the Cyricists that are online while we do this hide because the Strifelord (Creed at the time) and Cassius weren't around, and therefore didn't do anything stupid for us to step in on. Right now, there is a low player count, most people play neutral, and I myself have turned to neutral characters because If I use my good ones, for the sake of good RP I have to attack the evil players out of zeal. (Yes, that is a reason. I'll explain more below). And that will get my character killed. He himself knows that and will try to apply some self restraint, but there's a difference between self restraint and just going with neutrality while playing a good character.

zDarkShadowz wrote:Also due to their impeccable roleplay with dm's, most cyricists have their gold tokens, and special extra bonuses I may be unaware of, so other players are unwilling to band together to even have a crack at them simply because of game mechanics alone. My Karaz even tried to charge their Crawford, who is nothing more than a skillful, superstrong swordsman, yet the surrounding people would not dare to strike at him, despite having spells, and abilities and such that would debilitate him and help slay him so much easier when he just strode out into the Boarded Home alone and started causing trouble.

I'll also point out the following: There are only 3 characters that started as Cyricists. Friedriche Slazenger, Cassius Shadowfist and Creed. Everyone else roleplayed in the server has normal characters before actually joining the cult. By the time I believe they already had gold tokens. As for special extra bonuses, I haven't gotten any, I don't expect anyone else to get any either. As Fox explained before, we are actually quite limited. Why? Take my Cyricist for example. Despair has severe Schizophrenia and suffers of Dual Personality. The personality that is currently in control (Despair) is a psychotic killer with a fanatical devotion to Cyric. When I play him there is only two things I can do. Interact with other Cyricists, which quickly gets boring when playing Despair, or torture/kill others. Right now however the player count is low, so Fox warns us not to do that. So I only play Despair twice each month.

zDarkShadowz wrote:My poor Kamaris, an agent of Bahamut and probably one of the few cleric's that actually hold the power to defeat the Cyricists in 1 on 1 due to tactics alone, ended up dying to a power-word kill from a demilich just before a server reset (I was warned about the reset, but didn't expect the PWKill to occur) while I was alone, so he's in Heaven with currently no IC way to bring him back. I really can't be bothered making yet another cleric, making more character's irks me unless I truly have to. Also doesnt help that the Gem of Valor is extremely rare, so if I was in heaven when another person wanted to be raised, I can't exactly be my lawful good self and jump into the portal instead.

No, my Kamaris is pretty much lost, and with some dm's unwilling to give him his *only* chance via a chess game (at least when I asked for around three-four days, and stopped asking because I figured I was starting to piss off dm's) he may as well be in a guilded cage. In hindsight, I should've probably put up a forum request for it. Asking for things dm's only give out of their own generosity, and are under no obligations to actually give, such as tokens or chess games, just makes it seem like I'm trying to power-game once more. Asking tends to gets me nowhere, but staying silent is the same too.

Again, I barely ever saw Kamaris. And in this situation itself, you were Soloing the Spire, that is dumb. There is a sign outside telling you to go with a party, which you ignored and got yourself killed because of it. Other than that, Reaper Chess doesn't exist, it was something that was done back when Balor ran the place, I personally don't really like the idea at all. Amadahy doesn't want to do it, which will lead to frustration. And Fox denied you that right when you called for it. Me, The Reaper doesn't exist in DnD, so, I won't do it. Doesn't mean I'm mercyless, I ressurect new players that die because of a zombie -once-. Because of Internet Morality. You see soemthing, you kill it. Problem is the zombies here aren't that easy to kill so lvl 1 characters die very quickly.

I think everything else has been covered.

Now moving to another subject: Good Guys who use Detect Evil and attack someone because of it.

Detect Evil in itself is proof of someone being corrupt. Some paladins may give out a warning, instead of imediately attacking, others however actually have clearance to do so, and nothing really stops a normal paladin from doing it. Think I'm Wrong?
There is a class called the Shadowbane Inquisitor, which are paladins from the order of illumination which exist to slay evil in any form it might take. I'll remind you, a paladin isn't a guardsman, they fight Evil, but they also make sure Law is followed. But fightning evil comes first, and the Shadowbane Inquisitor is the prime example of this.
They have an ability called Smite, which can be used against -any- alignment. Even other paladins, and they can actually attack other paladins without suffering an alignment change as long as their motive is just. Example? Suspicion that the paladin might be turning corrupt and turn Blackguard. On the other note, if a Shadowbane Inquisitor detects Evil, they'll attack to kill. If someone steps in and questions them and tries to help that person, they attack to kill that person too for 'aiding evil'. Their alignment doesn't change to chaotic from doing so, and they don't become 'less good' either. They are following 'a Law'. And that would be the codes of the order of Illumination. You won't find any paladin more zealous than a Shadowbane Inquisitor, or one more 'extreme' in making sure that the Law is followed, both theirs and the one from the settlement they are in. They are just more extreme in the way they do it, but they are still Lawfull. And a normal paladin might choose to behave 'somewhat' like that aswell. Nothing stops a paladin from killing someone they detect as evil, they are actually doing their job by doing that. If anything they might offer mercy first depending on the god they follow.
avatar
Penquisitor

Posts : 34
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 24
Location : Brasil/Mexico/Spain/Portugal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:26 am

Penquisitor wrote:

>Implying that when you join a roleplay server, you don't do it to have fun roleplaying

Could you please clarify the implication?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Penquisitor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:21 am

XKCD_Apostle wrote:
Penquisitor wrote:

>Implying that when you join a roleplay server, you don't do it to have fun roleplaying

Could you please clarify the implication?

Speaks for itself. When you join a roleplay server, you join to roleplay. You do it because you have fun roleplaying. He was complaining that the thing with crawford happened for nothing more than entertainment value. Considering how this is a roleplay server, that's what you should strive for. You should have fun with what you do. It's not impossible to have fun without a gold token >_>, otherwise people wouldn't have gold tokens because they don't start with one. I played when fox was the admin, I didn't get instant gold token either. I started on blue like everyone else and worked my way up from there. I didn't roleplay so I'd get a gold token, I roleplayed because it was fun.
avatar
Penquisitor

Posts : 34
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 24
Location : Brasil/Mexico/Spain/Portugal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:31 am

Thank you Penquisitor, I suspected you were making that point. It was just that with the quote you provided, it led to an ambiguous interpretation.
One interpretation of your statement is one that I doubted you would make.

Though you needn't defend the token system, since that is an entirely separate consideration from what my question sought to clarify.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Kakashi on Crack on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 am

*Shrug* I personally think the roleplay token has too many flaws inherent in it.

That being said I just ignore the roleplay token system completely and if I happen to get a better one I thank whoever gave it out of politeness Razz
avatar
Kakashi on Crack

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 23
Location : My laptop, silly!

View user profile http://z8.invisionfree.com/TLJ/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Penquisitor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:00 am

Kakashi on Crack wrote:*Shrug* I personally think the roleplay token has too many flaws inherent in it.

That being said I just ignore the roleplay token system completely and if I happen to get a better one I thank whoever gave it out of politeness Razz

Ironically, that's the attitude that improves your token quickly.
avatar
Penquisitor

Posts : 34
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 24
Location : Brasil/Mexico/Spain/Portugal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  GHOSTEH on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 am

Not Irony
avatar
GHOSTEH

Posts : 43
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 25
Location : A neighborhood near you

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (delete if you want, just a rant I expect to be ignored)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum