Shadows of Siranda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gagnash (redone so he makes sense)

5 posters

Go down

Gagnash (redone so he makes sense) Empty Gagnash (redone so he makes sense)

Post  Necromundo Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm

name: Gagnash
Race: full orc
racial changes: +2 to strength -2 to wisdom (thats all ill need the DM to do)
class: Monk (i know he isnt going to be in a monk order but! the whole clan are monks sort of like a whole clan of orcs could be barbarians)
allignment: lawful neutral

description:
Gagnash now grown up stands a tall height of 6"5 with all the usual signs of his orcish heritage. long ears, thick yellow tusks protruding form his lower lip, flat face and a very muscular build. his skin a deep green and he tend to wear nothing but a pair of trousers and bracers. sometimes wearing boots if a pair was to fit him. tatoos liiter his body on his chest is a bright blue spike going from his belly to his upper chest while a red swastika (he calls it a star) drips blood onto the mountain, he calls his tribe the gore star and it becomes apparnt that the swastika is supposed to be a shruiken. he lives on a land he calls ice mountain which is actually on the edge between the eldeen reaches and the demon wastes in the land of eberron.

history: gagnash had lived in the icehorn mountains all his life and it was by pure chance that he was transported to the world of siranda by means he doesnt understand. a gnome had come to the land and he woke up in a mountian known as faeloth. he did not know who the gnome was. he looked around at the frozen land and though he had been taken to another place of the icehorn mountains but this land was fully of slow moaning abberations who tried to attack him without warning. the fended them off and begunto flee as the number of zombies there was surely too much. as he fled down the mountain and itno the wide spanding forests he saw a group of humans heading east. he followed them thinking he would be safe

he follows his gods dogma and wont start a fight on purpose. but when a fight starts gagnash wont stop untill total victory is his or one of his freinds stop him. he meditates alot as is his gods nature, he calls the god il yannah and explains that it is only known as "the great light" while obviously different from the orcs in siranda he still has the same breastial nature and likes to fight but he also enjoys not fighting and sitting in peace. in general behavious he is kinder to humans making his apperance entirely foriegn (i think thats how its spelt) even for an orc. gagnash is extremely loyal and freindly to those who treat him well and will often try to disuade any fighting with words first but if that fails he will both reluctantly and gladly take action.

he does not use weapons like most orcs and uses his bear hands. the spiritual weapon of the great light. he also believes personally that if you need a weapon to help you in a fight that it is a sign of weakness, but understands that much smaller people than he is may need them and does not call them weak. he isnt very nimble on flat ground having lived on a mountain side this allows him to be able to climb things quite quickly such as rocks, hills even small mountains.

a bit about the path of light

The kalashtar are a mysterious race, humans touched by spirits from another world, and are an enigma to the people of the Five Nations. They believe in a celestial force they call il-Yannah, "the Great Light." The followers of the Light engage in meditation and strict physical, preparing mind and body for battle against a force they call the Dreaming Dark. However, the nature of this conflict is difficult for outsiders to understand. While the kalashtar occasionally engage in physical combat with their foes, the true struggle is one based philosophy and dreams, something that cannot be seen with the eye.

Aliases Il-Yannah
Alignment LN
Portfolio Light, compassion, discipline, psionics, righteous action
Domains Balance, Law, Meditation, Mentalism, Protection
Favored Weapon Unarmed strike

information about ebberon orcs

Often depicted as savage brutes and ravaging barbarians the orcs of Eberron are in fact an incredibly diverse and deeply spiritual people. While it is true that some orcs are uncivilized and wild this stereotype does not reflect on the majority of orcs living in and around Khorvaire. The mighty House Tharashk is in fact made up mostly of half-orcs and many humans who can trace their heritage back to the orcs of the Shadow Marches and orcs of the Eldeen Reaches are some of the most closely connected to Eberron and the natural world. The orcs are one of the oldest, if not the oldest, race in all the world, dating their history back some thirty-thousand years. Orcs are a perfect study in nurture over nature as an orc's surrounding and history could mean the difference between a mad, wide-eyed, axe wielding barbarian and a humble, proud farmer who seeks to protect his family above all else.

other information:

The orcs of the Eldeen Reaches are an offshoot of the Marcher clan orcs, drawn to the Reaches by their close connection with nature. They are among the most civilized and peaceful of all the orcs and work closely with other druids in the great forests. The Gatekeeper faith is strongest here and a raging orc sees his fury as a manifestation of the land, the experience an almost spiritual one to true followers. The ice horn mountains are within the eldeen reaches

any more information needed?

(edit: ive taken out the fact he grew up in siranda and that he had known but forgotten common. this will be an entirely new version of gagnash and that with the new server will be him entering the world of siranda for the first time ill be forgetting every past RP that gagnash has been in during the past SoS's but still keep a similar nature as before along with the edited bits of the deity.)

im going to post this note here because im not sure but i think someone asked aout his build which while i think would be a pointless question ill answer it.

he is going to be a strength based monk with minor wisdom and intelligence going to say 16 strength, 16 wisdom and 16 constiution (before the racial modifiing) with an end result of 18 strength, 16 consitution and 14 wisdom (im goig to test this out when i can get nwn working for somereason its not loading like it should)

Last edited by Necromundo on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necromundo
Necromundo

Back to top Go down

Gagnash (redone so he makes sense) Empty Re: Gagnash (redone so he makes sense)

Post  Fox Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

I...don't like this. I really don't like it at all. No real explanation how he got here, and he's an LN Orc Monk, yet he has no Monastic Order/Tendencies, so he's really just a brawler who forgoes armour, and he's LN, yet serving some "path of light" ideal? Contradictory much?

I'm going to say no, but I will be fair, and ask the others their opinions.
Fox
Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Penquisitor Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:45 am

I normally don't post in char applications, I normally let Chris deal with it, but here I'll have to step in.

First: From the Player's Handbook 3.5: "Dotted across the landscape are monasteries-- Small, walled cloisters inhabited by monks who pursue personal perfection through action as well as contemplation. (...) The individual monk is unlikely to care passionately about championing commoners or amassing wealth. She cares primarily for the perfection of her art and, thereby, her personal perfection. Her goal is to achieve a state that is beyond the mortal realm." So, there are no clans of monks. There are monasteries lead by a grandmaster with monk disciples who are trying to achieve a state similar to the Bhudddist's Nirvana.

Much like Chris stated, a LN character following the path of light you stated is more toward LG. Though this is something that is easily fixed if you're willing to make him LG or if you'd just like to forget about this path of light entirely.
What bugs me the most however, is how you don't describe his travels from Eberron to Toril. They are different planets mate, he'd have to take a Spelljammer out of Eberron to Toril. I don't think you can even travel between settings (planets) through magic. So i'm sticking with Chris' decision of no untill these issues I've stated have been properly fixed. Because quite frankly, I don't think an Orc Monk is too much if it is well thought out and built.
Penquisitor
Penquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  TrinityShade Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 am

More in-depth description is needed, Monks are usually a very sensitive RP Character to play and alot of people do not play them right.
TrinityShade
TrinityShade

Back to top Go down

Post  Necromundo Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 am

ok starting wtih chris:

this is what i found about monastic orders in eberron:

Most of the religions presented in the Eberron Campaign Setting maintain monastic communities, where the faithful live ascetic lives of contemplation and honor the gods with their prayers and works. Many of the religious texts of Eberron are produced in such monasteries, and relics of the faithful are hidden away in monastic vaults
think of the clan (being a settlement) is the monastic community where the cheif is the head of the group much like a bishop is the head of a bunch of priests (no pun intended) this also applies to the first point that penguinistor said

now onto the second point (Much like Chris stated, a LN character following the path of light you stated is more toward LG. Though this is something that is easily fixed if you're willing to make him LG or if you'd just like to forget about this path of light entirely.)

i dont understand what you mean by this. he should be LG? in stead of LN? that would make more of a contradiction besides the religion itself is called the path of light (this is also directed at chris who said this was contradictory) it has two names. the path of light being the first and foremost one. the second being il-Yannah.

(and he's LN, yet serving some "path of light" ideal? Contradictory much?) as i posted il-yannah is LN as the allignment.

as for the traveling between planes ill admit that was a rubbish sort of excuse if you will as i didnt have enough time to look it up what with work and all ill post some information on how he got across planes in the morning if you dont mind.

and finally trinity:

i hate it when people say "more in depth" because they never give any area that needs building upon. what do you want to see more of? you wish a sort of example of his monk like RP?
Necromundo
Necromundo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fox Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 pm

What is this Path of Light thing you keep murmuring about? The "Monks" you described, while yes, more reminiscent of the ecclisastical monks of the real world, are more in keeping with D&D Clerics. Oh dear.

I'll read Races of Ebberon, as it's really not a setting I'm much familiar with.

As for "Needs more depth", the whole thing was kinda vague. I mean, yes, you gave a region, but, you kinda just pulled the rest out of your ass as you went, as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure any of us are familiar with this "Il-Yannah".

Edit - Yes, I mean the whole thing is vague. There're patches of information everywhere, but spit all in the way of indepth information at any given point, thus coming up to a total that is mediocre at best. As for Trinity's remark, I agree. Monks are a tetchy class and like Paladins, have to be handled with the utmost care. Throw in the fact that Orcs are labelled as "Usually Chaotic Evil" in the Monster Manual, and you get a touchy subject on the whole, unlikely to be taken well. I'm immediately thinking of the "5% rule of thumb"
Fox
Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Necromundo Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:21 pm

ok ive read up on interplanar travel and in the magic heavy setting that is SoS im pretty sure its possible. aswell as the fact eberron has machines such as trains and skyships powered by magic im sure a planar portal wouldnt go amiss

and as i have mentioned yes orcs tend to be CE but in eberron they are quite different in the fact that they are more spiritual all the information is pulled from information bits i found on the internet most of it being from the eberron wiki.

as for the vauge bio ill add more to it and ill move all the orc and god thing at the bottom

and "What is this Path of Light thing you keep murmuring about?" thats all the information i could find. from what ive seen its more a philosophy while the deity part rarely grants blessings i think. all the information i put is from what i could find if i went to anywhere else it would just be posting the same thing.

The Path of Light is a lawful neutral religion followed by the kalashtar of Adar. Followers revere a positive energy they call il-Yannah ("the Great Light")

thats the only thing i could find different
Necromundo
Necromundo

Back to top Go down

Post  Penquisitor Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 am

Necromundo. When you travel between settings (Eberron and Faerun) you don't travel through the planes. You travel through Spellspace. You travel through -space-. You literally get on a spaceship and go to the other settings. It's why Spelljammers exist. This is the only issue I'm having with this character, it's his travel from Eberron to Faerun. Describe how he got on a spelljammer and his trip! It'd be interesting to see an orc monk interacting in such an environment! This is my biggest issue here!

Edit: The reason why I say this is because I find it unlikely for planar travel to be possible to travel between planets in the prime. And here's why: Planeshift will send you to a random location in the other plane. When you use it there is a chance that if you're in Faerun you'll end up in the middle of the sea. But there's no chance you'll be sent into Spellspace, which considering how big the universe is, it'd be more likely for you to end up there and choke to death than in the planet you wished to go to. Hey. It might even be possible to use interplanar travel to get between planets, but considering how magic is different in Faerun, Greyhawk and Eberron, I think that using Spelljamers to travel between planets is the "safest" and more likely way to do it. But again, I can always be wrong.
Penquisitor
Penquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Fox Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 am

I don't know if it's just me picking up on this...but he wants to play a Monk...who follows a religion/discipline, that he doesn't actually know anyting about. What's the deal with that?
Fox
Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tiberius Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 am

Heh spot picking on it Fox, we all know you've never liked the idea around Gagnash, but the RP is solid and sound as was shown previously on Balors SoS.
David Tiberius
David Tiberius

Back to top Go down

Post  Fox Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:32 pm

To the contrary, the roleplay I observed was of a very, very poor quality back then. Which is part of why I'm picking so hard at it now.
Fox
Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum