Shadows of Siranda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A request to my English friends

3 posters

Go down

A request to my English friends Empty A request to my English friends

Post  Amadahy Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 am

Hey guys. As many of you know, I'm Canadian.

This is going out to the English players out there.

My grandfather was a navigator in WW2. He was stationed in England. When his plan crashed he was the only survivor and wrote a letter to the pilot's mother. This letter was much later in life donated to a museum by the pilot's family.

The museum is RAF Museum, Duxford

I was hoping that if any of you were close enough that it wouldn't be putting you out of your way or anything, that perhaps you might be able to go and see if the letter is still there.

The collection of things donated by the pilot's family was under the name Sgt. JJ Dixon (the pilot.)

Part of the reason I ask is that my mum, myself and possibly my sister are thinking of coming to see it, but we'd really rather find out if it's there first or not, as it's a pricey trip. I tried to email the museum about a year ago and got no reply.

Thanks for even just looking to see if you are close. Smile

Amadahy

Back to top Go down

A request to my English friends Empty Re: A request to my English friends

Post  CautiousDread Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:36 am

I visit there every year when it's my dad's birthday.. I'll take a looksy for you

Yes, the irish guy goes to a different country to celebrate something that silly... >.> <.<
CautiousDread
CautiousDread

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tiberius Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am

Question for you Ama if you just so happen to know the following stuff if not no worries Razz.

need to know Sgt Dixon's identity; what property was donated in the past; by which member of his family; and when i.e. at least the year. We need also to know if it was delivered in person or sent by post, and it that was to Duxford or London.

Can answer any of that would be nice, also is it a John Joseph Dixon RAF (personal Service no. 631704) or Sergeant John James Dixon RAFVR (1059540) Razz?.
David Tiberius
David Tiberius

Back to top Go down

Post  Amadahy Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am

Hey Tibs.

Unfortunately the year and dates are blacked out in the information that the Government gave us. They pretty much blocked off everything that would identify anyone other than my grandfather. A pain I assure you.

All we have is Sgt JJ Dixon. However, because we know when the crash occurred we know the details of his death. (May 31, 1942. 4:35am. Wellington Bomber Crashed. He was the Pilot. They crashed at Soham. They were returning to Graveley Airport)

The only item we know of in the "artifacts donated by the pilots family" is a letter written by Sgt Scroggie to the pilot's mother. All the artifacts, I assume, would be WW2 items.

We can't be sure, but from the tone of the letter we have a copy of, the artifacts would have been donated in person to Duxford.

Again thank you so much from both my mum and I.

Amadahy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down